The West Midlands Gambling Harms Clinic works closely with a range of people and organisations including GPs and primary care professionals, NHS mental health trusts, local council services, drug and alcohol services, housing, education and employment, the criminal justice system, 3rd sector agencies,  Citizens’ Advice, debt agencies and homeless services, who may be supporting someone with a gambling problem.

Following a discussion with a person who is worried about their gambling, and with their consent, you can refer them to the clinic for help using our secure online referral form.

Access our secure online Professionals referral form for the gambling harms clinic.

Do remember to check out how the person would prefer us to get in touch with them beforehand.

Alternatively, you can call us on 0300 123 0996 and give referral details over the phone.

Who do we help?

The West Midlands Gambling Harms Clinic is open to anyone who is:

  • 18 years old and above.
  • Registered with a GP in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, Telford and Wrekin, Shropshire, Birmingham, Solihull, Black Country, Coventry, Warwickshire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire.
  • Has problems with their gambling, resulting in harm to themselves and other people.

Once we accept your referral, the person referred can expect to have an assessment by one of our clinicians, usually within 72 hours. We will let you know the outcome of this.

Other sources of help for gambling

You can find details for other forms of help and advice on gambling on the national NHS website below.

Urgent Help

There are different support options if the person you are supporting is in crisis and needs help right now with mental health issues.

A first step is likely to be an urgent appointment with their GP.

If they are feeling very distressed, hopeless or having suicidal thoughts, they can also phone a free helpline listed on the NHS website here.

Is there an immediate risk to life?

If the person has seriously harmed themselves – for example, by taking a drug overdose – or you feel that they may be about to harm themselves, call 999 for an ambulance or take them straight to A&E.


Support for people in a mental health crisis in the West Midlands

If the person needs urgent care or treatment for a mental health crisis, they can call the Single Point of Access (SPA) via the details below.

Crisis Care Centre North Staffs Stoke-on-Trent, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs Moorlands). 0800 0 328 728 (option 1) 24hours
Crisis Care Centre South Staffs Stafford, Stone, Rugeley, Cannock, South Staffs, Lichfield, Burton, Uttoxeter, Tamworth). 0800 196 3002 24hours
Shropshire Telford & Wrekin Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin 0800 196 4501 24hours

They can speak to health care professionals who can refer you to specialist mental health services in Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, Telford and Wrekin, and Shropshire

Already receiving specialist mental health or addiction services?

If they are already receiving care from specialist NHS mental health services, or drug and alcohol services, then they will have a contact for their Care Co-ordinator or another health professional in the team looking after them. This will be in their care plan.

If you cannot find this or you need urgent help to access services, you can call the Single Point of Access (SPA) via the details above.

If someone is already in acute or in-patient care

If you are a health service professional supporting someone who is already in acute or in-patient care and you are concerned about their gambling after they are discharged, you can ring 0300 123 0996 for advice and options for a referral.

Hide Page
Back to top